Activity Centre Service Activity Badge
Scout and Explorer sections are able to work towards and achieve an Activity Centre Service Activity Badge. The below criteria has been copied from Scouts.org.uk, the team will be more than happy to work with sections to achieve this at Lowther Adventure:
How to earn your badge
- Help the warden or manager and work for at least five days at a
permanent District, County or National Scout campsite. Alternatively, you can do this work at a similar activity centre.
- Explain and show how to use three items of equipment that you’ve used in your work with the activity centre. Show or talk about how you maintain the equipment.
- Choose four of these to explain and if possible demonstrate:
- the use of computers in campsite management
- how to take care of campers’ needs while respecting wildlife
- how to prevent frozen pipes and what to do if an overground pipe
bursts or leaks
- the need for good site drainage and clear ditches
- rubbish disposal and how to recycle materials wherever possible
- the reasons for having clean toilets
- how to unblock a drain
- how to use and maintain equipment for an activity you have become familiar with
- other important tasks that the warden or manager has pointed out.
- Talk about developments and improvements you would like to see at a permanent campsite. It could be the one you worked at or another one you know well.
How to earn your badge
- Work for at least five days (on at least two different occasions) at a
Group, District, County, Area or National Scout Activity Centre or campsite, helping the warden or manager however they need you.
- Explain the maintenance needed for essential campsite equipment. Do a demonstration, if possible.
- Explain and, where possible, demonstrate four of the following:
- Make a booking for someone wanting to use the site.
- Show how to restore a camping area after use, including sowing grass.
- Show how you prevent pipes freezing during the winter and what steps to take when pipes burst.
- The importance of having clean toilets.
- Chemicals – what to use and how to use them safely.
- How to unblock a drain and prevent further blockages.
- The need for good site drainage and keeping ditches clear.
- How to dispose of refuse and use an effective recycling system.
Badge content correct on 06-APR-2016